Snow days, leaves on the line and the wrong type of rainGillian Hinton
All too familiar reasons why employees can’t get into work on time or at all. Employers can’t control these problems but there are measures that can be taken to minimise disruption and disagreement.
- Are there alternatives ways for employees to work
- Will the company deduct pay for absences/lateness
- investigate the reasons for the absece before deducting pay
- treat all employees consistently to avoid discrimination claims
- remember to allow for dependents leave for parents to deal with emergencies in relation to childcare or other dependent issues
- take into account the obligation to ensure health, safety and welfare of employees – is too much pressure to attend work putting your employees at risk or in danger if conditions are very bad?